Nadal leaves his mark for the French
Stephen Bierley in Monte Carlo
Friday April 18, 2024
The Guardian
The focus of attention here yesterday, other than the abundant food and wine, and the views of a pellucid Mediterranean, continued to be the young Spanish left-hander Rafael Nadal, who had reached the last 16 with a startlingly mature straight-sets victory over Albert Costa, the reigning French Open champion.
By beating Costa, Nadal became the first 16-year-old to break into the world's top 100 since Michael Chang in 1988. The following year the American won his one and only grand slam title at Roland Garros and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility to imagine Nadal emulating this feat, such is the young man's exceptional ability and confidence.
"He's very strong and already has the physique to stand the physical effort needed," said his fellow Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero, last year's beaten French Open finalist and the reigning champion here, though perhaps not yet. Neither Ferrero nor Carlos Moya, the only two seeds left in the draw, had expected Nadal to defeat Costa, and they were mightly impressed.
Moya, who like Nadal comes from Majorca, has always taken an especially keen interest in the youngster's progress from the junior ranks. "I've known Rafael since he was 10 and day after day he keeps impressing me more and more," said Moya, who believes Nadal will be a top-10 player inside the next two years. Certainly he will not lack advice and companionship; the Spanish are one big family.
Understandably Nadal, wearing a shirt as blue as the sea and skies, suffered an anti-climax after his huge win over Costa late on Wednesday. Argentina's Guillermo Coria, only 21 himself, arrived early for practice yesterday and was clearly in the most determined of moods when the match began in late afternoon, winning 7-6, 6-2.
Coria was a semi-finalist here two years ago when he was already being spoken of as a future French Open champion, but that same year he tested positive for nandralone and was banned for seven months. Coria has always claimed his innocence, though before the ban his fellow countryman Juan Ignacio Chela had also tested positive for the same substance. Today they will meet each other for a place in the last four, Chela having defeated Finland's Jarkko Nieminen 6-4, 6-2.
As against Costa, Nadal produced some fabulous winners but here Coria was every bit as quick as the Spaniard and rather more stern. Notably he attacked the 16-year-old's serve, breaking him twice early on.
Undaunted, Nadal hit back to level but after losing the tie-break he suddenly looked weary, which was hardly surprising. So ended an extraordinary week for the teenager. His debut in next month's French Open will be eagerly anticipated.
The possibility of a repeat of last year's all-Spanish final here between Ferrero, No1 seed, and Moya, No2, is still on the cards, Ferrero fighting back to defeat Gaston Gaudio of Argentina 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, with Moya, the 1998 French champion, having a much easier time against yet another Spaniard, Tommy Robredo, winning 6-2 ,6-4.
**Please do not use or copy without the permission of the original source and VamosRafael.com. Thanks.**
Return to VamosRafael.com.
Return to VamosRafael.com Articles.